RT @AndyBerke: This is great news for our community. I want to thank @HamiltonHealth and all our area partners as they continue to work tog…

View Our
Facebook Page!

Report Fraud, Waste,
and Abuse

Online Services Payments, GIS Maps, Tax Information
Contact Department contacts, Reports and Requests

Business License FAQs

How can I apply for a business license?

Business License Application

All businesses required to have a City of Chattanooga Business must also have a Hamilton County Business License. For information on obtaining a Hamilton County Business license please call (423) 209-6500.


What is the cost of a business license?

There is an initial registration fee of $15 for obtaining a business license. This covers the inital business tax registration only. After registration businesses must comply with Tenn. Code Ann. §§ 67-4-708(1) – (5) and Tenn. Code Ann. §§ 67-4-708(1) – (4).


What payment types are accepted?

Payments for New Business Licenses and Permits can be made by cash, personal check, money order or credit card.


How to renew a business license?

Business License Renewal Information


How will I receive my renewed copy of my business license?

Business licenses will no longer be mailed out when they are renewed. Renewed business license copies will now be electronically sent to a taxpayer’s TNTAP account via the message portal 24 hours after the city of Chattanooga receives record of tax clearance from the Tennessee Department of Revenue. For questions on using your TNTAP account call (615) 253-0600 Ext. 1.

Business licenses are available to be emailed or mailed to the authorized representatives of the business by request only. To make a request to receive either an electronic PDF copy of your business license emailed, or a hard copy mailed to the address on file please email busl@chattanooga.gov or fax (423) 643-7278 with the following information. Please use the subject line BUSINESS LICENSE COPY REQUEST. Please list the name of the business, physical address where it is located, and provide the tax ID that the business license was filed under. This would be a SSN (Social Security Number) or ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) for all Sole Proprietors and or Marital Joint ownerships, and would be an FEIN (Federal Employer Identification Number) for all Estates, Trusts, Partnerships, LLC’s, and or Corporations. A business license will only be provided when the information given matches that which is currently on record.


Where do you obtain a sales tax number?

Applications to obtain various TN Tax ID Numbers are availible either electronically through the the TNTAP system, in hard copy form linked from the TNTAP system, or in person at any of the various Tennessee Department of Revenue locations that allow walk in visits. Please find that information linked below.




How do I contact the Tennessee Department of Revenue?

Tennessee Department of Revenue Contact Information


What type of permits are available?

A business license does not permit operation unless properly zoned and/ or in compliance with all other applicable state, county, or city laws, rules and regulations. It is the responsibility of the owners, officers, partners, or members of a business to be aware of legislation governing business activity and to keep up with the latest legislative changes and updates as they come into effect. The City of Chattanooga land development office at (423) 643-5902 can assist you with zoning and special exception permit requirements. Please contact the Tennessee Department of Revenue at (615) 253-0600 for information regarding Tennessee State Tax Law. Listed below is a partial list of departments you may need to contact regarding specialty permits. There may be additional unlisted departments that you need to contact, and it is the responsibility of the owners, officers, partners, or members of the business to determine that information. Please be advised that the City of Chattanooga Treasury Staff cannot provide legal advice. Therefore if you are unsure of how best to start your business, it is always best to consult with a business advisor, CPA, or legal counsel.




Going out of Business Permit- (423) 643-7262
Hotel Permit- (423) 643-7262
Mobile Food Truck- (423) 643-7262
Sidewalk Vendor (Push Cart) Permit- (423) 643-7262
Transient Vendor Permit- (423) 643-7262
Adult Entertainment- Individual- (423) 643-7262
Adult Entertainment- Business- (423) 643-7262
Short Term Vacation Rental- (423) 643-5800
Liquor by the Drink- (423) 634-6434
Special Gathering Permit- (423) 643-5155
Beer Permit- (423) 643-5155
Taxi Permit- (423) 643-5155
Wrecker Permit- (423) 643-5155
Manufacturer of Intoxicants- (423) 643-5155
Liquor Store- (423) 643-8250
Wine in Grocery Store- (423) 643-8250


Where is the Tennessee Alcoholic Beverage Commission located?


City Treasurer's Office
101 East 11th Street Suite 100
Chattanooga, TN 37402  (map)
(423) 643-7262

Brittany C. Johnson, City Treasurer

Sharon Morris, Assistant Treasurer

For inquiries regarding property taxes

423-643-7262 or email ptax@chattanooga.gov

For inquiries regarding sewer fees

Dial 311 or 423-643-6311 or email 311@chattanooga.gov

For inquiries regarding business license

423-643-7262 or email busl@chattanooga.gov

For inquiries regarding sewer fees


Dial 311 or 423-643-6311 or email 311@chattanooga.gov

Photo by Maycreate